I have a Bachelor’s Degree in French Language and Literature, which I do not use at all and after years of not speaking the language, can barely speak a few sentences in French. I do, however, still have a love affair with French film. The French take their art very seriously, and have created some the coolest, weirdest and most beautiful films that I’ve ever seen. I get really nostalgic when I watch French movies. They make me feel all the same emotions that I felt when I did a study abroad program in Nice, France. It’s like I’m plucked out of my life, placed on the Promenade des Anglais in 2008 and time is frozen. It’s a wonderful feeling, but it also makes me yearn to take my family to France and let them see the place that changed my life forever. A lot of these films are cult classics at this point, but so unbelievable and worth watching.
- Amélie. This film is a fantastical, cute, beautiful love story and has incredible cinematography and amazing music. The director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, is one my favorites and is so good at capturing the whimsy of the world that Amélie makes in her head. This movie makes me feel so good inside and brings back so many memories of visiting Paris.
- La cité des Enfants Perdus (The City of Lost Children). Another weird and fantasy style film that has really cool cinematography and a whimsical plot.
- Le Pacte des loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf). This is more of an action packed thriller and also has really cool fight scenes.
- Innocence. I love the eerie cinematography of this film. The plot and themes in the movie are up for interpretation, but I love how the movie progresses.
- Dieu est grand, je suis toute petite (God Is Great and I’m not). This is another Audrey Tautou film, but it’s light-hearted and the french equivalent to a romantic comedy.
What are your favorite films? Have you seen any of my favorites?
French flag courtesy of Maps of World
Some of these are affiliate links-thank you for your support!