A delicious vegan turmeric and coconut milk vegetable bowl, packed full of rainbow vegetables and hearty rice. Healing turmeric and coconut milk add extra flavor and healthy fats to a plant-based meal!
Lately, my mentality around cooking has been making simple dishes that I can update by adding or subtracting different spices and herbs. I have been loving everything with turmeric (like this quinoa salad with golden turmeric tahini dressing) and cilantro, and find it really satisfying to make super simple curry bowls.
We’re actually running low on groceries at the moment, which is always ridiculous since Fred and I both work at a grocery store, but this came from the little bit of produce that we still had left in the fridge.
I used about half a head of broccoli and 1-2 cups of baby rainbow carrots, plus a sprinkling of cilantro, lime juice and some delicious mushroom salt that has cayenne pepper and pieces of various dried mushrooms. While I was making the turmeric and coconut milk vegetables, Fred cooked the white long grain rice with a bit of vegetable bouillon. This whole dish takes under 30 minutes and is entirely vegan, gluten-free, and great for cleansing and inflammation.
I love when cooking is as easy as throwing everything into a big pot and letting it simmer away. I started with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large pot over medium low heat, then added in 2 cloves of garlic and half a shallot. I absolutely adore the smell of simmering garlic and onion, and you can watch them cook in the oil and change colors.
Next, add in the coconut milk and half a cup of water, bring up to a boil, and then let simmer for another 5 minutes. You can then add in the broccoli and carrots, and let that simmer away for 15-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender. I enjoyed this dish with a large bowl full of the turmeric and coconut milk broth, a few spoonfuls of the vegetables and a heaping scoop of the rice. I topped it with cilantro and fresh lime juice, and Fred and I sat in silence as we stuffed our faces!
Vegan Turmeric & Coconut Milk Vegetable Bowl
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2 people||Total:|
- 1 cup long grain white rice cooked with water & vegetable broth
- 1 13.5 oz can of full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- half a head of broccoli, chopped in florets
- 1 cup baby rainbow carrots
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- half a small shallot, chopped
- cilantro, as a garnish
- 1/2 lime for fresh lime juice
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium low heat. Once it's fully melted, add in the garlic and shallot. Let simmer until the onion is translucent and the garlic starts to turn brown. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the can of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of filtered water, and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, two bay leaves and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes, then lower the heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste the coconut milk broth and add more salt and pepper if desired, and a pinch of red chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Serve with long grain white rice and top with cilantro and the juice from half a lime.
This post contains affiliate links.