Vegan chocolate donuts made with gluten-free flour and a decadent vanilla coconut oil frosting. Organic raspberries and raw cacao nibs add the prefect crunchy texture to these easy home-made treats!
I finally gave in and bought a donut pan. It was on my long ass to-buy list for the blog, but I could never justify buying another thing to store in our teeny tiny kitchen that wouldn’t be used on a daily basis. The stars were aligned for me to make some vegan donuts and I had to give in.
We made a doctor’s appointment for Luna a while back, forgetting that she would be in school, which means we had the day off together. She had to get two shots at her appointment and was incredibly miserable afterwards, which led to a trip to Target. We had the entire afternoon to ourselves and there was that damn donut pan staring at me in the kitchen section, so in the basket it went. I honestly had no idea what I was going to do or what flavor to try out, but Luna wanted to make chocolate donuts with a vanilla frosting and some sort of sprinkle action. I had been researching different donut recipes to get a feel for the basic ingredients, and overall it looked pretty easy based on that alone. There are even some online recipes that only use a handful of ingredients, most of them being flour and an egg replacer.
My little Luna has no fear and is definitely one of my biggest cheerleaders, urging me to try new things and not be so scared to fail. I love the perspective children have on life and dealing with emotions because they are mostly free from others’ influence. If I ever feel nervous about something, Luna is the best at making me feel grounded and confident again. I hope she keeps that superpower for the rest of her life.
We decided to make vegan chocolate donuts with gluten-free all-purpose flour and a pre-made vanilla coconut oil frosting from Simple Mills. I was more concerned about mastering the donut flavor and texture than the frosting part, and their icing smells heavenly. It tastes amazing, has a great list of ingredients and contains coconut oil, which I also used in the donuts. It’s the bomb, but if you want to make your own frosting/icing then definitely go for it! I’m going to give it a whirl with our next batch of donuts, for sure, and hopefully create some sort of vegan pumpkin cheesecake frosting. I’m feeling ambitious, friends!
I hope that you can also find the strength to try something out of your comfort zone, and that you have someone in your life that pushes you. My daughter is about to turn six years old and has the power to make me feel like I still have so much left to learn. She has such a wise soul in her little body, and I appreciate everything that she’s taught me so far. Here’s to trying new things! If you end up making these bangin’ vegan chocolate donuts, tag me and use the hashtag #apolloandlunablog so I can show Luna and give you an internet high-five. Peace!
Vegan Chocolate Donuts with Raspberries
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 6 donuts||Total:|
- 1 cup gluten-free 1:1 flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (good quality)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 dash pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- splash vanilla extract
- optional toppings: raspberries, raw cacao nibs, maple syrup, home-made or pre-made vanilla frosting
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, coconut sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: almond milk, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, vanilla extract and apple sauce.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until smooth.
- Add small amounts of batter to each donut mold and smooth out with a spoon or your finger.
- Bake the donuts for about 10-12 minutes. If you pierce the donuts with a toothpick it should come out clean, but the donuts should still be soft and not too firm.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and let them cool completely before removing from the donut pan.
- Top each donut with vanilla frosting, cacao nibs, and fresh organic raspberries. Enjoy!