A gorgeous pineapple and dragon fruit smoothie with banana, golden flax powder, almond milk and maca! This smoothie is vegan, gluten-free and ready in under 5 minutes!
It feels odd to be posting something so bright and “summery” like this pineapple and dragon fruit smoothie. I have so many soups, stews and pumpkin recipes coming up, but this is my farewell to summer recipe and bring on the hearty autumn meals.
There’s about 1-2 weeks a year when organic dragon fruit magically appears at work, and I pretty much buy the entire case. I obviously love the insanely beautiful bright pink color, but dragon fruit is packed full of antioxidants and essential fatty acids. The texture and seeds remind me of the inside of a kiwi fruit and it’s perfectly sweet. I adore them!
To make this pineapple and dragon fruit smoothie, you’ll make the base smoothie first and then top it off with blended dragon fruit. I used banana (you can use raw or frozen), frozen pineapple, golden flax powder and almond milk. If you want a thicker, more ice cream like texture to your smoothie, then freeze the bananas over night before blending them with the frozen pineapple. The less liquid that you add to the blender, the thicker the smoothie will be. The golden flax powder also helps thicken it up, but you can omit the flax powder and use chia seeds instead or nothing at all! You can pretty much substitute any of the ingredients for the base of the smoothie.
The top dragon fruit layer is the flesh of one whole dragon fruit and a splash of dairy-free milk. The dragon fruit has so much water content that it doesn’t need that much added liquid to start blending. I filled two cups with my pineapple smoothie and then topped them off with the blended dragon fruit. I took a spoon and very slowly stirred the liquid together to make a pretty swirl of pink and yellow. This tastes as good as it looks!
Good bye summer! I can’t wait to share a ton of squash, apple and winter veggie recipes with you! It’s equal parts frightening and exciting that the holidays are right around the corner, but I love the weather and the produce in the fall. What’s your favorite thing about autumn?
Pineapple & Dragon Fruit Smoothie
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2 people||Total:|
- 1 dragon fruit
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 2 bananas, raw or frozen
- 2 tbsp golden flax powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- ice, optional
- In a blender, blend the bananas, pineapple, non-dairy milk and maca powder until smooth. Add ice if you want a colder, thicker consistency. You can use raw or frozen bananas, but using frozen bananas will make a thicker, more ice cream like smoothie.
- Add the pineapple smoothie to two cups.
- Now add just the inside of the dragon fruit, not the skin, to a blender with a splash of non-dairy milk and blend. It should blend very easily.
- Top off each glass with the blended dragon fruit juice and like slowly stir the cups with a spoon to create the swirl effect.
- Enjoy cold.