This potato mushroom stew is autumn in a bowl; rich, warm and bright! Carrots, potatoes and two types of mushrooms in a delicious mushroom broth make this a hearty vegan and gluten-free stew.
If there’s one thing that Fred loves to cook, it’s stew. He loves the entire process and building multiple layers of flavor, and since we finally have a weekend off together, he made a delicious potato mushroom stew. He modified the Seitan Porcini Beef Stew recipe from Post Punk Kitchen to make ours gluten-free and a little more accessible. It’s really difficult to find porcini mushrooms in DC, but Fred used maitake and portobello mushrooms instead. They both add a really nice richness to the stew, plus they compliment the mushroom broth and potatoes so well!
While I was taking these photos, it reminded me of living in France, simply because of the wine. We rarely ever drink alcohol, but Fred really enjoys cooking with wine. The combination of wine, rosemary, fennel and vegetables is absolutely delicious! I’m enjoying the evolution and dare I say “maturity” that our palates are going and it’s been fun to experiment with different things. I think I’ll give cooking with wine a go, especially now that I see how easy and tasty it is.
I’m also going to dedicate way more time this fall to experimenting with soups, stews and curries. Some of my favorite ingredients to use in soup are ramen noodles, creamy coconut milk, and leeks! I’m planning on testing out a butternut squash soup, a tomato based one, and then a ton of different veggie and noodle recipes. I have way more fun when I can make the recipes as colorful and vegetable packed as possible. What are your favorite fall vegetables to use in soups and stews?
Potato Mushroom Stew (Vegan & Gluten-free)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds of small red and yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large portobello, diced
- 1 cup of maitake mushrooms
- 1 cup organic red wine
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 3 cups mushroom broth
- Himalayan pink salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- For the slurry:
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp organic tomato paste
- In a large pot over medium heat, sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent and fragrant. Add in the chopped mushrooms, a pinch of salt and sautee the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Now add the carrots, rosemary, fennel, paprika, thyme, red wine, a pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes.
- Add in the mushroom broth and cubed potatoes, lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together half a cup of water and the gluten-free all purpose flour until there are no lumps. Slowly add to the soup while stirring until it's well incorporated.
- Mix in the tomato paste and let the soup thicken for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm and with a side of bread.