My favorite way to stay warm in the fall is this delicious vegan superfood hot chocolate with maca, cacao powder, and dates. This is a nice alternative to buying a pre-made hot chocolate mix because you can customize the ingredients and add your favorite superfoods!
Two of my favorite superfoods are cacao and maca. The combination of cacao and maca is delicious, packed full of antioxidants and great for elevating your mood. I find that maca really helps balance my energy levels while also improving my mood and focus. It makes me way more productive and organized at work, and it doesn’t make me crash after a long, busy day.
Have you tried incorporating maca into your diet? What are some of your experiences with it?
SUPERFOOD HOT CHOCOLATE
As soon as the temperature drops, I’d rather stay in bed under the blankets than get ready for work, especially at 4 am. It’s dark, lately really rainy, and definitely way colder than the 95 degree weather we had a few weeks ago. I’d normally make a cup of coffee and frantically grab whatever warm shirt or sweater I can find, but I like having other options. I’m also sort-of attempting to decrease the amount of coffee I drink each day, and I’m using this superfood hot chocolate as my weaning beverage. It still has a ton of flavor, which is what I love about coffee, and the naturally balancing and energizing herbs to help me fight my need for too much caffeine.
What’s cool about this drink is that you can customize the ingredients, mix them all together and store it in a mason jar. You basically have the majority of the work already done beforehand, and the only thing that you’ll need to do is warm up some almond milk and blend it with a few scoops of the dry mixture. I also like to freeze a can of coconut milk and shave off little pieces of the frozen coconut milk to add-on top of my hot chocolate. You can also add raw cacao nibs, goji berrries or hemp seeds!
Leave a comment if you swap out any ingredients, I’d love to see your superfood hot chocolate creations!
Vegan Superfood Hot Chocolate
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2 people||Total:|
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- frozen coconut shavings, optional
- raw cacao nibs, optional
- In a pot, gently warm up the almond milk. Do not bring the milk to a boil.
- In a blender, add the pitted dates, cacao powder, maca, cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, then the warm almond milk.
- Blend until everything is combined and you have a frothy consistency.
- Add the mixture to your favorite mug and top with cacao nibs, frozen coconut shavings or non-dairy whip cream. To make the frozen coconut shavings, put a can of coconut milk in the freezer for 1 hour, then shave off the top layer of frozen coconut milk with a fork or knife into your mug.