I’m all about oatmeal for breakfast once it’s cold outside, and this cinnamon oatmeal topped with figs and maple syrup is the perfect start to the day. This is vegan, gluten-free and ready in under 15 minutes!
Cinnamon Oatmeal with Figs
I love eating oatmeal on chilly fall mornings, especially when it’s topped with figs and maple syrup. This oatmeal is made with gluten-free oats cooked in almond milk and a simple mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and star anise. I wanted this to have a super cinnamon oatmeal taste, so I added cinnamon sticks to the pot and let the flavor cook into the oats. If you aren’t a fan of licorice flavor, then you should skip the star anise altogether and add other spices that you like!
I highly recommend adding figs to your cinnamon oatmeal because they are juicy, sweet and almost melt into the oatmeal once they’re warm. Figs also pair really well with raspberries, and once you add some maple syrup and almond milk on top, oatmeal is the perfect breakfast. I also love to add Seckel pears when they’re in season. They’re my favorite kind of pear and perfectly sweet! Almond butter and banana would also taste incredible with cinnamon oatmeal, but any fruit will do. This recipe is really just a simple base for you to use your imagination and favorite flavors to make a cozy fall meal.
What’s your favorite breakfast to eat when it’s cold outside? It’s hard for me to leave my warm bed in the morning, especially at 4 am for work, but it’s a lot easier when I eat a warm and filling breakfast.
Now that we’ve enjoyed our breakfast, today is my 7 year wedding anniversary with Freddie! Our favorite way to celebrate any holiday, birthday and our anniversary is not surprisingly with delicious food. Fred ordered us a vegan chocolate cake and we’re going to spend the day in DC and then get everything ready for Halloween! I hope you have a great holiday if you’re celebrating!
Cinnamon Oatmeal with Figs (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2 people||Total:|
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 star anise pod
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- handful of figs
- handful of raspberries
- optional: additional maple syrup and almond milk to pour on top
- In a pot, add 1 cup of almond milk and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Add in 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats and reduce to medium-low heat.
- Add the cinnamon, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, star anise and maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Cook the oats until they reach your preferred consistency, around 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the star anise pod and the cinnamon sticks, and add the cooked oatmeal to a bowl.
- Top with figs, raspberries, and additional maple syrup and almond milk if desired.
- Enjoy warm!