A delicious vegan buddha bowl with turmeric quinoa, roasted delicata squash, sautéed garlicky kale and cilantro.
Vegan Turmeric Quinoa, Delicata Squash and Kale Bowl
It’s been a while since I’ve shared a buddha bowl, and this turmeric quinoa and roasted delicata squash bowl is deliciously simple. This bowl is packed full of protein, fiber, vitamins and FLAVOR. Turmeric is aromatic, adds a beautiful bright pop of color to the quinoa, and gives this bowl plenty of anti-inflammatory properties. A win across the board!
Since I’ve been on an epic squash kick lately, it was totally necessary to add roasted delicata squash. I cut the squash into circles, scooped out the seeds and roasted it with coconut oil and salt for 35 minutes. It’s really simple, but adds a ton of flavor when combined with garlicky kale.
My favorite way to sautee kale is in coconut oil with 3-4 cloves of garlic and an entire shallot. I used an entire bunch of kale for this recipe, but don’t be alarmed if that seems like a lot. You start off with what seems like SO much delicious chopped greens, and once it cooks down it shrinks into half the amount. You could probably even use two heads of kale if you want this to be heavier on the vegetable side!
If I’m using the kale as the bulk of my meal, then I use my super trusty sautéed kale recipe. For this bowl, I changed it up a bit to keep this recipe to a pretty simple list of ingredients. You can still cook the kale that way if you have everything already in your kitchen! It is seriously my all-time favorite way to sautee kale.
Once the delicata squash has been roasting for about 20 minutes, I start cooking the turmeric quinoa and sautéing the kale. I can usually time it so that everything is done around the same time and my kids aren’t waiting forever to eat. When my kids are hungry, they act like crazy monsters and get understandably cranky.
I like to mix the kale and cilantro into the quinoa, then serve that into bowls and top it with pieces of squash, hemp seeds and avocado slices. Variations of this bowl that have also worked for us are using rainbow chard instead of kale and adding roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
If you end up making this flavorful turmeric quinoa and delicata squash bowl, I’d love to see it! Tag me on social media and use the hashtag #apolloandlunablog so I can share it!
Turmeric Quinoa, Delicata Squash and Kale Bowl
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2-3 people||Total:|
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 delicata squash, cut into circles with the seeds removed
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped into pieces
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- handful of cilantro
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp hemp seeds
- juice from 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and add the cut delicata squash. Coat in 2 tbsp of coconut oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for roughly 35-40 minutes until fork tender.
- Once the delicata squash has been roasting for about 20 minutes, you can start cooking the quinoa. I use 1 cup of white quinoa with 2 cups of water, then add in the turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Cook the quinoa according to the packaged instructions, but it should take about 15 minutes to completely cook.
- To sautee the kale, add 1 tbsp coconut oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the diced garlic and shallot, a pinch of salt, and cook until it becomes transparent, usually a few minutes.
- Add in the chopped kale and stir to help break down the kale and prevent it from burning. You can lower the heat if needed. Add the juice from half a lemon and a pinch of salt. Stir to help evenly cook the kale. It should only take about 5 minutes, sometimes less, to wilt down and cook through.
- Once everything is fully cooked, add the quinoa, cilantro and kale to a large bowl and gently stir to combine. Serve into individual bowls and top with pieces of delicata squash, hemp seeds, additional lemon juice, salt and pepper if needed.