Cauliflower rice sushi is a really fun and different way to make your own sushi rolls. These vegan and gluten-free cauliflower rice rolls are filled with avocado, rainbow carrots, cucumber and shiitake mushrooms.
Making sushi at home is SO MUCH FUN! Since I finally had enough courage to try rolling my own sushi, it feels like a whole new world of possibilities for me. I can’t wait to experiment with all different kinds of veggie sushi – and this cauliflower rice sushi is the first of many that I’ll be sharing on the blog!
I used regular white cauliflower and “cheddar” cauliflower which is a nice orange color. The first time that I tried to make these, I also used green cauliflower! It makes for some really cool looking sushi, but it’s surprisingly difficult to photograph. It’s also a little bit messier than using sticky rice, but the flavor is amazing and there are a few things that you can do to make the clean up process a lot easier.
- Cook the cauliflower rice with rice vinegar and coconut sugar. This will enhance the flavor, be easier on your stomach, and also help the cauliflower rice stick together better.
- Wrap your sushi mat in plastic wrap. The cauliflower pieces will stick to the mat and make clean up super simple.
- Wipe your knife after each cut. Cauliflower likes to stick to the knife, which will then stick to the next piece that you cut. Keep a towel near by to wipe your knife, and also a little bowl of water to wet the knife before cutting.
- Put a nice, even layer of cauliflower on the nori so it rolls easily and doesn’t fall out of the sides. This will take some practice (at least for me) and eventually you’ll figure out the perfect ratio of cauliflower, veggies and placement on the nori.
- PRACTICE! Your first sushi roll isn’t going to be perfect, but that’s fine! Have fun, and just keep trying!
I like to make my sushi rolls with rainbow carrots, cucumber, avocado and sautéed mushrooms. You can combine a few of the ingredients to make a really delicious and pretty looking veggie roll. My favorite thing is combining something crunchy with something creamy, like avocado and carrots. There are really so many options for making veggie sushi!
Cauliflower Rice Sushi (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2-3 people||Total:|
- 2 small heads of cauliflower, any color
- 1 cup rainbow carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, cut into thin strips
- half of a large cucumber, skin peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- sushi nori
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Remove the leaves and stem from the cauliflower and cut into a few pieces. Place in a blender and pulse into the cauliflower breaks down into small pieces that resemble rice, this should only take a few seconds.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a bowl and set aside while you prep the veggies.
- Cut the carrots, cucumber and avocado into thin strips and set aside in a bowl or two.
- In a small bowl, mix together the rice vinegar and coconut sugar until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 clove of garlic, and sautee the mushrooms until they're tender and cooked through. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and the cauliflower rice. Cook until the cauliflower is warm throughout, then add the rice vinegar and coconut sugar mixture and stir. Place the cauliflower rice in a bowl so it can cool off.
- To roll the sushi: cover your sushi mat in plastic wrap to keep everything clean, then lay 1 piece of sushi nori on the mat. Add a thin layer of cauliflower rice, leaving about 1 inch empty on one end. Add a thin layer of whatever vegetable filling you're using, then start rolling the sushi.
- Wet your knife before cutting the sushi pieces and wipe the knife between each cut.