Comforting vegetable noodle soup made with all things plant-based and gluten-free noodles. Perfect for a cold, winter day to warm you up and keep you full.
I’m one of those weirdos that likes the colder weather, but mostly because I love soup and sweaters. The only part that I don’t like is flu season, or in our case, a horrendous stomach bug that was passed from my kids to us. I spent the entire day in bed and barely ate anything, but I really want to share this recipe for vegetable noodle soup. It’s perfect for when you’re fighting a cold or need something really comforting and warm.
This soup can be made with a variety of vegetables, I stuck with the most forgiving of the bunch, and used a gluten-free noodle. I made this vegetable noodle soup with powdered vegetable broth and also liquid vegetable broth, and both came out equally delicious! You just need to make sure that you season the broth enough to bring out all of the delicious flavors, and I like to add some fresh lemon juice at the end. Coziness in a bowl!
We LOVE adding mushrooms to our soups and stews, but for more than just their delicious flavor. Shiitake mushrooms are nutrient-dense and great for your immune system. My whole family takes mushrooms in pill and liquid form when we’re feeling sick or to prevent any illness, and it’s great to double up by eating mushrooms, too.
This soup is also full of garlic, onion, rainbow carrots, and broccoli. A beautiful rainbow of delicious vegetables and immune boosting properties. I like to add a hefty dose of garlic to almost every meal whenever I’m starting to feel sick because of its anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Food is medicine! What are your favorite ingredients to use when you’re feeling sluggish or sick?
Cheers to staying happy and healthy this holiday/winter season!
Vegetable Noodle Soup (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 4 people||Total:|
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- half a large yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and cut in half
- 6 oz baby rainbow carrots, cut into small circles
- half a head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 8 oz bag of gluten-free noodles
- handful of kale, chopped
- cilantro, to garnish
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- juice from half a lemon
- plenty of salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onion and stir to sautee until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes, then add the celery pieces and stir.
- Let the celery cook down for about 3 minutes, continuing to stir so nothing burns to the pot. Then add the vegetable broth and water.
- Bring the liquid back up to a boil, then add the chopped carrots. Lower the heat to a simmer and let the carrots cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms, then bring the liquid back up to a boil and add the pasta. Once the pasta has been in the water for about 5 minutes, add the broccoli. Stir and allow the pasta to cook through.
- Taste the broth and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Once the pasta and vegetables are cooked through, remove from the heat and add the kale to the broth. The kale will soften very quickly from the heat of the soup.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and additional salt if needed.
- Top with cilantro and enjoy warm!
I used baby shiitake mushrooms and kept the stems on, but they're hard to find. If you use regular sized shiitake mushrooms, cut them in half, too.