A delicious vegan and gluten-free quinoa salad with tomato, cucumber, cilantro and a golden turmeric tahini dressing!
I recently made this quinoa salad for lunch and shared it on Instagram, and it got so much love that I had to share the recipe! We always make extra quinoa to use as leftovers, and I ate this exact salad two days in a row. I’ve been trying really hard to think ahead when it comes to meals, and this is an easy way to make a healthy lunch or dinner without a lot of work. The entire recipe takes less than 20 minutes, but doesn’t skimp on flavor or plant-based nutrition!
I’ve been really into cucumber lately, and it’s probably because it’s so hydrating. My body is already dry and dehydrated before you add in the cold weather and heat blasting everywhere, but this simple salad seems to help me out.
This little salad is just cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and a sprinkle of dried parsley and oregano and olive oil. I like to add a huge handful of chopped cilantro and even diced avocado if I have a ripe one on hand. The salad is flavorful enough that it can be eaten on its own, but I love adding it to a big bowl of quinoa for extra protein.
If you’re not a fan of raw onion, you can lightly sautee it before adding it to the quinoa salad, or just omit completely. I like that it adds a little extra bite, but I know that it’s not for everyone.
There are so many possible dressings to use with this quinoa salad, but I prefer a turmeric tahini dressing. It adds a really nice creaminess that brings everything together and leaves me feeling full, but also energized. I also really like to use a few store-bought varieties from Annie’s if I’m out of tahini at home. What’s your favorite salad and dressing combination?
Quinoa Salad with Golden Turmeric Tahini Dressing
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 3 people||Total:|
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- half a large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 cups rainbow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- half a red onion, diced
- 1 large handful of cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- drizzle of olive oil
- half an avocado diced, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder (less if you want a milder flavor)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water or more
- salt, to taste
- Add 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups of water to a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and lower to a simmer, cook for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, dice the tomatoes, cucumber and red onion.
- Put the diced tomatoes, cucumber and red onion in a large bowl and add the oregano, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and top with a handful of chopped cilantro. Gently mix everything together.
- In a blender, add the tahini, turmeric, water, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until you get the desired consistency, adding more water if necessary. Make sure to taste and season as you go!
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add to a bowl with a few scoops of the tomato cucumber salad and top with a drizzle of turmeric tahini dressing.
Turmeric has a strong flavor and if you aren't used to it, I'd recommend adding 1/2 a teaspoon at first and adding more if needed. Also, make sure you add enough salt and lemon juice to the dressing! This makes a decent amount of dressing, but it will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for a few days.